Regional symposium on sustainable food systems for healthy eating
FAO and PAHO/WHO in Latin America and the Caribbean are co-organizing the Regional Symposium on Sustainable Food Systems for healthy eating. As a fundamental part of the activities considered is a Regional Call for Experiences aiming to identify efforts that contribute to achieve sustainable, equitable and inclusive food systems that guarantee the right to adequate foods and eradicate all forms of malnutrition.
FAO and PAHO/WHO are calling for experiences from Governments, parliamentarians, academics, the private sector, NGO, civil society associations or organizations, international agencies and organizations, and so on. The experiences must present information on best practices that will be a fundamental input to enrich the contents of the Regional Symposium on Sustainable Food Systems for Healthy Eating, to be held in El Salvador, on the 5th and 6th September, 2017.
The experiences chosen to be presented during the Symposium (either in the plenary sessions or through posters) can also form part of a virtual platform on best practices experiences that assume a rethinking of the current food system in such a way as to transform it towards its sustainability in social, economic and environmental terms.
Best practices will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Respect for the Human Right to Adequate Foods (place reference of the boxes)
- The contribution made to a food system that is sustainable, equitable and inclusive (positive impact on the various elements of a sustainable food system)
- A systemic, intersectoral and participative approach to food and nutritional security
- Contribution towards the implementation of the Rome Declaration on Nutrition and its Framework for Action and the Sustainable Development Goals
- The possibility of replication at the national, regional and global levels
- An approach that contributes to combating the effects of climate change and other environmental factors affecting food and nutritional security
- An approach that promotes gender equity and the centrality of women in the promotion of sustainable food systems and healthy eating
- An approach that promotes the contribution of indigenous peoples, people of African descent and traditional diets for healthy eating
Experience submission is due July 21st, 2017.
- Experience submission form (open until july 21st, 2017)
- Regional symposium on sustainable food systems for healthy eating website
- Support documents: